Monday, January 7, 2013

The Next Big Thing?


I’m 22. One year older than Mark Zuckerberg was when he founded Facebook, and three years younger than Larry Paige and Sergey Brin were when they opened Google as a private company. In this relatively new age of technology, the truth is that our generation is running the show. This statement may furrow the brow of many a veteran in this game, but an inability to think fresh, irresponsibly and crazy, means an inability to create the next big thing. I’m only a third year Computer Science major at the University of the West Indies, located on the tiny island of Barbados but I believe I have meaningful commentary on this shiny new toy called technology. 

When I was very young, my father founded a computer business in my home country St.Vincent and the Grenadines, which give me exposure to a lot of things which are now considered archaic. I remember playing games such as Jacks and a colorful stick game and fiddling with the arm that secured 5 ¼’ Floppy disk. Sometimes I left the computer purposely idle so as to see my favorite maze screensaver complete with a sorry excuse (in terms of graphics) rat. Chip’s Challenge, Pipe Dream and Ski Free, were later added to things I enjoyed most about computer as a kid. Times have changed since then, and I now own my own laptop, an Apple device and blackberry both equally useful to me. My blogging partner Maurice, often categorizes me as an Apple Hater, and I in turn tend to categorize him as an Apple Fanatic. Both claims we refute to anyone willing to listen. It’s going to be particularly interesting to see how our views compare and contrast on various aspect of this ever changing world. With CES 2013 starting soon, things can only get more heated.

I am also a professional photographer, with a fair knowledge on the use of Adobe Photoshop and a long history of designing websites. From learning basic HTML on my own at the age of 16, I can now build a fully-fledged website from “scratch” and still learning more. I am also no stranger to blogs as one night in college after being kicked out of the school library, I posted my commentary on the library experience anonymously to a blog I titled ‘Man About College’ which was well received, and snow-balled into Brainstorm Inc, a website I founded to be a hub of a number of similar blogs with multiple contributors.
I have no doubt that this blogging experience would be as interesting as before, and hope to learn as much from you the reader as you would learn from me.


- Janique-ka John

No comments:

Post a Comment