Friday, January 18, 2013

The Rise or Fall of RIM

Only 12 days are left until RIM (Research in Motion) reveals a long over due overhaul in their line of smartphones, Blackberry 10. And I mean LONG overdue. This pending announcement is being met by a general air of nonchalance from the press, media and by extension the public. Everyone seems to be of the opinion that Blackberry is dead. I won't be surprised if this post is met with comments like 'Isn't it obvious??'. But it is simply NOT TRUE. Yes I said it.

Now I am not a blackberry enthusiast, nor am I being paid by RIM. I simply stepped back one day and looked at the reality of what is around me, and spit back up the anti-rim oatmeal that the media is feeding everyone. For the apocalyptic reports coming from the media for over two years, claiming nothing short of a disastrous collapse and blowing up a much needed reshuffle of RIM's cabinet, by now surely Blackberry's should be obsolete devices and RIM should be filing for bankruptcy! 

It is my firm believe that things with RIM aren't as bad as the media makes it out to be. I am certainly not denying the obvious shortcomings of the current slate of Blackberry devices, but how does that lead me to conclude that RIM cannot do better? 


As I close this highly opinionated piece I just want to reiterate that I am not a Blackberry die hard. In fact, I own and love an iOS device. It is a trick of these companie to create a sense of loyalty to their devices, and a feeling of betrayal if we recognize anything but shortcomings in the competing devices. We as consumers need to snap out of this trance.  Competition (or attempts at) is good.  More companies trying to bring more to the table can only mean good for us as consumers, even the die hard apple users. I welcome Blackberry 10 with open arms.


No comments:

Post a Comment